Mixpanel & AB tasty
Mixpanel is a product analytics tool that enables you to capture data on how users interact with your digital platforms. Mixpanel then lets you analyze this product data with simple, interactive reports that let you query and visualize the data in just a few clicks.
The Mixpanel integration allows you to target the cohorts created in Mixpanel with AB Tasty.
Good to Know 💡- Mixpanel Cohorts
Cohorts are groups of users defined by a particular set of criteria, like a shared property or sequence of events.
For further information on how to use cohorts, please refer to the Mixpanel documentation.
Enabling the Integration on AB Tasty
To enable the Integration on AB Tasty, follow the steps below:
- Access Profile > Integrations > DMP & CRM Onboarding.
- In the Other CMP and CDP tools box, select Mixpanel and click the connect button.
Mixpanel is now set up. No other action is required here. This will allow AB Tasty to display the cohorts that will be sent by Mixpanel.
Enabling the Integration on Mixpanel
You must be a Mixpanel project Admin to enable the AB Tasty integration.
To enable the integration on Mixpanel, follow the steps below:
- Access Integration under the Data Management tab in the top navigation bar.
- In the Integrations list, select AB Tasty, and click Connect.
- To set up the AB Tasty integration you need to enter your account’s API Key. Copy and paste the API Key of your AB Tasty account. Click Continue.
Good to Know 💡- API Key
An integration API key is a unique key that allows a third-party tool to communicate with your specific AB Tasty account i.e. send data to your account.
To generate an API Key, follow the steps below:
- Access Settings > Integrations > API Key.
- Click Generate API Key.
The API Key is ready to use.
The AB Tasty integration will show a Connected tag once the connection is established.
Exporting the Cohorts From Mixpanel to AB Tasty
Now that the connection between the tools is established, we have to export the desired cohorts to AB Tasty to target them.
To export the cohorts to AB Tasty, follow the steps below:
- Click Cohorts under Users in the navigation bar.
- Select the cohort that you want to export. Click the three-dot icon on the right side of the cohort.
- Click Export to > AB Tasty. Select either one-time sync or dynamic sync. Click Start Sync.
Mixpanel Documentation on cohorts exports is available here.
Congratulations, the integration is now set up and you can target your Mixpanel cohorts with AB Tasty!
Good to Know 💡- Technical Specifications
- Mixpanel sends the cohorts every 15 minutes in case of recurring exports
- AB tasty pushes the abtasty_visitor_id to Mixpanel, and Mixpanel includes it in the cohort export. The abtasty_visitor_id is used to match the user.
- For the cohorts to be used in AB Tasty’s segment builder (once exported from Mixpanel), we need to match at least one user i.e. empty cohorts will not be displayed in the segment builder.
Using and Retrieving Your Mixpanel Cohorts
Once you have activated and configured an integration, you can retrieve Mixpanel cohorts in the segment builder (available cc when you create a new segment).
Audiences generated by your integrations can all be found under the criteria group DATA INTEGRATION.
For each integration, you will have a corresponding item that you can drag and drop to use.
For global information on how to build a targeting segment, please refer to our targeting guide
Good to Know 💡- Audience availability in the Segment Builder
For an audience to be available in the segment builder it must not be empty, meaning that we have to identify at least one user belonging to that audience.
Once a user is identified, the audience will appear in the segment builder.